personalized baby blanket

great ideas for choosing the personalized baby blanket as perfect baby gift that will be remembered for years to come

Tuesday, July 18, 2006

personalized baby blanket: Dear Abby : If you need it, keep blanky

Dear Abby
By Jeanne Phillips Universal Press Syndicate
Tucson, Arizona | Published: 07.18.2006

advertisement● DEAR ABBY: I am a 24-year-old woman who has been married for four months to an amazing man. We are looking forward to growing old together. However, I have a slight problem:
I have a personalized baby blanket I have slept with since before I could walk. When I turned 16, I told myself I'd get rid of it. Sixteen turned to 18, 18 turned into getting rid of it when I graduated from college, which turned into getting rid of it when I married.

But I now have no intention of getting rid of it. I guess I've held onto it because it's familiar. (We moved far from home after our wedding.) My husband says he doesn't mind, and I'm sure he's not lying, but it's a little embarrassing. I can't fall asleep without it. I even watch TV with it in my lap or read with it behind my head.

Do you think it's ridiculous for me to have a baby blanket at 24 with a new, wonderful husband, or should I just keep it and not worry? — K.T., in Kentucky
DEAR K.T.: Your "problem" may be unusual, but it's not unheard of. Your "blanky" is familiar and soothing, and since your husband doesn't mind, I see no reason why you should be concerned about keeping it. Enjoy!

● DEAR ABBY: I have finally been reunited with my 30-year- old son, who was in the Marines as a sergeant in Iraq. He decided he wanted to get in touch with his dad after 15 years. I welcomed him with open arms.
He is married, and I have just met his wife. She's a great person. I told them both that I love them, always have and always will, and it wasn't my choice that we were separated. I don't ever want us to be separated again.

He told me, "Dad, I love you, too," but he's not too keen about hugging me. It was OK the first couple of visits. I just want him to know I really love him. Do you think my son is too old to be hugged? — Demonstrative dad in Pennsylvania
DEAR DEMONSTRATIVE DAD: No, I do not. Hugging is a common expression of affection in many families. However, you must remember that you have been separated from your son for half his life. And for hugging to be OK, it needs to be mutual. So before you do it again, talk to your son about it and be sure the gesture is welcomed. And if it makes him uncomfortable, respect his feelings.


● Write Dear Abby at www. DearAbby.com or P.O. Box 69440, Los Angeles, CA 90069.